The IMU is leading the project to declare an International Day of Mathematics (IDM). From your responses to the AO CL 5/2017
the IMU decided to move forward to create an annual International Day of Mathematics and to select March 14 («Pi Day») as the date for the IDM.
UNESCO is the authority to proclaim the International Day of Mathematics. If UNESCO decides to proclaim the IDM, the first celebration of IDM is expected to be on March 14 in 2020.
For more information see also the IMU webpage https://www.mathunion.org/outreach/IDM.
The IDM will be overseen by an IDM Advisory Board, composed of representatives worldwide and appointed by the IMU. The Board will be responsible for choosing a theme for each year and for overseeing the IDM website.
Now the IMU is inviting bids to host the website of the International Day of Mathematics.
The bid should be drafted according to the guidelines given below.
– Hosting the IDM website will be subject to UNESCO’s proclaiming the International Day of Mathematics.
– The URL of the IDM website will be www.idm314.org.
– The IDM website cannot include any commercial advertisements or sales in any form, and its use should be free and open to all.
– The IDM website host can nominate one representative to the IDM Advisory Board.
– The deadline for the submission of bids is 15 January 2019. IMU’s decision on the successful bidder is expected by April 2019.
– In a separate call, see AO CL 19/2018, bids for the logo of the International Day of Mathematics will be invited. The winning logo is to be displayed on the IDM website.
– The IMU in consultation with the IDM Advisory Board will be responsible for the content of the IDM website.
Please feel free to distribute this call among potential bidders. Only electronic bids are eligible.
Please submit your bid to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines for preparing a bid to host the IDM website:
Description of the project:
The IDM website should contain statements about “what is the IDM”, about the date March 14, as well as background/history, founders, Advisory Board.
Each year, all countries will be invited to celebrate the IDM with mathematics activities in schools and with the general public, under a (non-mandatory) theme, which may vary from year to year.
Announcements of activities worldwide will be posted on the IDM website. To help the local communities organize activities, Open Source material for curriculum enrichment and activities for the public will be made freely available.
Modern, user-friendly, intuitive design. Robust and clear structure and arrangements, allowing easy handling also by non-experts. Optimized for use on mobile devices and tablets. The design should allow for versions or mirror sites in different languages. Compliance with data protection
rules is mandatory. Archiving of content should be done.
Design of IDM website:
Apply a content management system (CMS) that allows various roles of administration, which means different sections of the website can be administered by different persons. This way there is a high level of self-administration that requires, on the other hand, qualified overseeing of the
website as a whole.
Topics to be covered:
– Major goals of the IDM, Theme of the year, activities organized around the year (posted with title, date, location, organization, a short description and a URL to the website of the activity), event map, invitation to contribute to the Open Source material.
– A resource section containing Open Source curriculum enrichment material and/or proposals of activities for the public related to the Theme of the year, offered in several languages.
– A section for the media including: (i) a presentation of the centralized international events, for instance the celebrations at UNESCO and videos of activities there, (ii) press releases.
– A blog.
– A news section.
– The website may also offer a presence on social media.
In your bid, please include:
1. Description of host institution:
Describe the institution, source of funding, annual budget, number of employees, geographic location, electronic infrastructure, including back-up facilities and safety.
2. Description of administrative support offered:
Describe the kind of administrative resources provided for the project of hosting the IDM website, and the kind of web competence offered. Support will be needed year around with an expected peak around March 14 every year to answer questions from users.
3. Description of ideas for the IDM:
The kind of activities you propose to include on the IDM website, and how you propose
to develop a successful IDM website and successful activities worldwide.
– By 15 January 2019: Submit bids.
– By 20 March 2019: If necessary, IMU may give feedback to bidders so that the bidders have
the chance to improve their bids.
– By 10 April 2019: Decision on the successful bid.
– By 15 November: Go-live of the IDM website (subject to UNESCO’s decision to proclaim the IDM).
A renewable contract for a five-year period will be made with the successful bidder.
Deadline for submission of bids: 15 January 2019.
Please submit your bid to email@example.com.