→ See also «Research» section for further info.
My main research background is second language acquisition (SLA) of both English and Spanish (L1 Eng – L2 Spa and L1 Spa – L2 Eng) from a formal (linguisitc) perspective.
Likely topics for MA and PhD supervision
You need to get in touch with me for a full discussion of these topics. In general, I am interested in second language acquisition/bilingualism :
- Bilingualism and second language (L2) acquisition: The acquisition and development of grammar (syntax, anaphora resolution, information structure). I am interested in both L2 English and L2 Spanish acquisition.
I am happy to supervise topics on how late bilinguals (adults) or early bilinguals (children) acquire linguistic aspect of their second language, e.g., the acquisition of a certain syntactic property. I am currently interested in anaphora resolution (i.e., how pronouns refer back to their antecedents). Please see my ‘Publications’ page to have an idea of the sort of research I am insterested in.
- Learner corpora: the use of corpora to investigate bilingual and L2 acquisition.
I can supervise the L2 acquisition of any of the above linguistic properties with the help of learner corpora. Learner corpora are large electronic collections of the language produced by learners (e.g., compositions, spoken language). Corpora can inform us about how learners acquire their L2. Students can use existing corpora (see learnercorpora.com) or even design and collect their own learner corpus to study a particular linguistic property.
- L2 psycholinguistics.
I can also supervise any of the above topics with the help of more experimental and psycholinguistic methods, e.g., acceptability judgement tests, reaction time experiments, etc.
These dissertations will give you an idea of the sort of topics I am supervising (or have supervised in the past), though new topics are also welcome. Some MA dissertations are downloadable.
- Postdoc research stays
- Gelormini Lezama, Carlos. Universidad de San Andrés (Buenos Aires, Argentina): Supervision of research project «The linguistic processing of anaphors in Spanish: dialectal differences (Riverplate Spanish vs Peninsular Spanish) and effects of an L2 (monolinguals vs bilinguals)«.
- PhD thesis
- García Guerrero, Elena (started Oct 2020). PhD programme in Language, Texts & Contexts, Universidad de Granada. (Supervisor: Cristóbal Lozano). FPU scholarship/becaria FPU.
- Montaño Mojica, Jorge (started Oct 2020). PhD programme in Language, Texts & Contexts, Universidad de Granada. (Supervisors: Cristóbal Lozano, Nobuo Ignacio López-Sako).
- Quesada, Teresa (in process). Studies on Anaphora Resolution in L1 Spanish-L2 English and L1 English-L2 Spanish adult learners: combining corpus and experimental methods. PhD programme in Language, Texts & Contexts, Universidad de Granada. (Supervisor: Cristóbal Lozano)
- Martín-Villena, Fernando (in process). Anaphora resolution in topic continuity: investigating cross-linguistic influencein L1 English-L2 Spanish learners, Spanish Heritage Speakers and L1 Spanishattriters. PhD programme in Language, Texts & Contexts, Universidad de Granada. (Supervisor: Cristóbal Lozano; Co-supervisor: Antonella Sorace, University of Edinburgh). FPU scholarship/becario FPU.
- Collewaert, Kim (defended 17.01.2020). Los mecanismos referenciales en el discurso oral del español como lengua extranjera (ELE): un estudio de corpus basado en neerlandófonos aprendices de ELE. (Supervisor: An Vande Casteele, Vrije Universiteit Brussel; Co-supervisor: Cristóbal Lozano, Universidad de Granada)
- Kinne, Alexandra (defended 11.05.2018): Weight as a determinant of syntactic variation in English L1 and L2 academic writing: Weight effects in verb-particle/prepositional phrase constructions. University of Bremen. (Main supervisor: Marcus Callies, University of Bremen; co-supervisor: Cristóbal Lozano, Universidad de Granada). [Published as a book]
- Georgopoulos, Athanasios (defended 25.09.2017): Anaphora in the Interlanguage of Greek and English Learners of L2 Spanish: A study based on the CEDEL2 . PhD programme in Language, Texts & Contexts, Universidad de Granada. (Supervisors: Cristóbal Lozano & Ana Díaz-Negrillo)
- López-Beltrán, Priscila (Feb 2015 – Sept 2015) [currently Fulbright PhD scholarship at Pennsylvania State University, USA): Information structure in passive constructions at the syntax-discourse interface: an online vs offline study of L2 English learners. PhD programme in Language, Texts & Contexts, Universidad de Granada.
- MA dissertation (TFM) in English Language & Linguistics, Universidad de Granada
- 2016-17 Quesada, Teresa. «A corpus-based study of Anaphora Resolution (L1 English-L2 Spanish): new insights into the Position of Antecedent Strategy (PAS)«. [Final grade: 10, matrícula de honor]
- 2016-17 Martín-Villena, Fernando. «A corpus-based and multifactorial study of anaphora resolution in topic-continuity contexts: evidence from the CEDEL2 corpus«. [Final grade: 10, matrícula de honor]
- 2014-15 Bautista, Mónica. «Anaphora resolution in L1 English-L2 Spanish: evidence from the CEDEL2 corpus«. [Final grade: 10, matrícula de honor]
- 2013-14 López-Beltrán, Priscila «Information structure violations in passive constructions at the syntax-discourse itnerface by advanced L2 English learners«. [Final grade: 10, matrícula de honor]
- 2010-11 Simonovikj, Aleksandra «Second language acquisition of unaccusative syntax: Macedonian and Spanish learners of L2 English«. [Final grade: 9.5, sobresaliente]
- MA dissertation (TFM) in Teacher Training (Máster de Profesorado), Universidad de Granada
- 2012-13 Fontana, Úrsula «A morpheme order study based on an EFL learner corpus: A focus on the Dual Mechanism«.
- 2011-12 Atzolidaki, Elpiniki “The acquisition of morphology in a corpus of secondary school EFL learners: a focus on possessive ‘-s’«. — Distinguished MA dissertation, to be published in ESRIIE (Educación Secundaria: Revista de Investigación e Innovación Educativa)
- 2011-12 Ardébol Barea, Juan “A morpheme study in a corpus of secondary school EFL: The “-(e)s” morpheme for 3rd person, plural and possessive”.
- 2011-12 Demarta Dabove, Agustina “A study of morpheme order acquisition in an EFL corpus of L1 Spanish – L2 English: Some pedagogical implications”.
- 2010-11 Expósito Morillas, Pilar «An overview of the age factor and its pedagogical implications for second language acquisition«.
- 2010-11 Collado Moreno, Cristina «The age factor in aural perception in an instructed setting«.
- 2010-11 Sánchez Gracia, Macarena «The role of motivation in the acquisition of English as a second language».
- MA dissertation in Applied Linguistics, University of Essex
- 2002-03 F. Renesi: «The L2 acquisition of the syntactic effects of focus»
- 2002-03 E. Athanasiadou «Maturational effects on second language acquisition: Does age matter?»
- MA dissertation in Language Acquisition, University of Essex
- 2002-03 M. McDonagh «Critical period effects in L2 English parameters»